Monday, August 3

The UNfrequented Library

I woke up this morning, and after my usual workout, I thought to myself, "Hey- maybe
I'll take the kids to the library today." We haven't been to our public library since the summer or early fall of 2007. I should be ashamed to admit that, but I'm not. Today I was reminded why. The kids were excited to choose their books and, although I struggled to hold on to Bryn, I was happy to help them. Olivia quickly filled her book bag, as did Katherine and Ella. Travis only found a couple of books. I was eager to look at more "sophisticated" titles, including topics like blog design, finance, anything related to my new hobbies. I would have been happy with "Blogging for Dummies" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Budgets". The card catalog computer was shut down, and they didn't have the one book that I actually knew the title. Since it wasn't a new book, I thought surely they'd have it. But no.

So I vaguely remember that each child could check out 10 books. I told the kids to choose 5, but I didn't oversee it very thoroughly. Travis took Olivia's bag to the desk and the librarian and she checked out the entire bag. When we finally all made our selections, I asked about the number of books. She said, 5 per child, but only 20 per family. The first bag she checked out had 13 books in it! *sigh* So we had to be selective about the rest. Katherine also chose a DVD- so we had to leave out a book for that. I was so frustrated that I'm not really even interested in the books I chose. Not to mention all the crying from Ella and Olivia since we've been home, because of the books or not getting a movie for themselves or something (like maybe they're tired).



This is what 19 books and 1 DVD look like. Don't freak out about the homeschooling books- I'm just curious, cause who knows? The grass may be greener...


I probably won't be going to the library very often. At least, not that library.

Here's what we made that redeemed the day:



Aren't they adorable?! I found the idea here. I love her!

1 comment:

  1. so many moms here brave the library... I have yet to do so... I am afraid of torn pages :(

    You are awesome for your cool desserts! thanks for the sweet blog comment

    ReplyDelete