Wednesday, August 3

Can I really do this?

Over the last several days, I've been planning for the new school year to start. The kids and I have really been looking forward to homeschooling and all of it's perks. We've chosen Time4Learning {see this link} as our curriculum. It really is a great program and has a lot of resources and options for teaching. But I have to say, I think I'm at a disadvantage- maybe this would be a lot easier if I had an Elementary Education degree and teaching certificate. ??? I'm really struggling with lesson planning! Really

I've created a Homeschool calendar on my google calendars and planned the school year...beginning Monday, August 22nd and ending Friday, May 25th... 36 weeks of school. Holidays include Labor Day, a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas, MLK Jr. Day, 1 week for Spring Break, and Good Friday. 

We have 4 kids in school this year. Katherine is in 5th grade with 5 subjects, unless she does Art, then she'll have 6. Travis is in 4th, with 5 subjects; Olivia is in 1st, with 4 subjects and Ella starts kindergarten with only 2 {very in-depth} subjects. Ella's got a lot of classroom instruction it looks like. Is that optional?

For example, Ella's Language Arts has a total of 199 activities (18 chapters). Divide that by 36 weeks, and she has exactly 5.5 activities to complete per week. That sounds easy enough, but there is also classroom instruction for each of those..a lot of letter recognition- difference in uppercase and lowercase letters...blah blah blah. Sorry, do I sound cynical? :/  Imagine for a second, that I did do the lesson parts with her every day and she did the online activities...then I have to teach Olivia about "Pollution" (that really is her first chapter in Language Arts Extensions. And what does poetry have to do with Pollution? In the FIRST GRADE?!?) before she can do her online activities...then help Travis & Katherine with who knows what (Math!)...  Somewhere in there Bryn will need at least one snack and Samuel will need a diaper change and a nap and will want to eat. (Back to Olivia- the poetry stuff... here's what part of the instruction says: "Read the poem once and ask students to think about it. Then read the poem again and allow students time to reflect. Ask students what they thought about when they heard the poem. Help students understand that even short poems can convey great emotion and imagery." Great emotion and imagery? We're talking to a first-grader. ?A first-grader that struggles with reading. I'm wondering if she ought to sit in on Ella's lessons??)

This is why I've always been afraid to do this! I'm beyond overwhelmed right now since I've looked at the online activities and classroom-type lessons and worksheets and answer guides. I'm sure it'll be fine once I have a schedule I can stick to- it's the getting started and organized part that is killing me.

Am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I not do the classroom-type instruction for Ella? Will the online activities suffice? How much one-on-one instruction will be necessary? Can I do that and take care of Bryn and Samuel and cook and do laundry and dishes? and not stick them in front of the tv with a bag of dry cereal and a sipper cup and let them pass out on the floor? I mean, seriously. I do not want to become a neglectful parent to my preschoolers or my home or myself. BUT the alternative is worse...sending my kids to a less than mediocre school- only to replace these questions/problems with more problems/stress. 

I still think homeschooling my kids is the best answer. I just don't know how to do it. 

Okay, give it to me... leave a comment and give me advice (but don't tell me to do public school- it's not an option).

8 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to say send em to public school! hahah Just kidding, you made me!

    It sounds like a lot of hard work, i'm not gonna lie! But we all know you can do it.

    Sorry I don't home school my children, nor am I a mom YET so I don't have any advice...and you're probably bummed once you read this comment to learn it was only me. lol But the only input I could have would be-prayer and fasting! :)

    Try it and lemme know how it works! lol Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is y'all inspire me. My Sellers cousins and their parenting and homeschooling. I think that I would use Monica and Melissa, pick their brains. OH and Aunt Melba! Doesn't she home school Rachel? Please document your journey, I might be there in a year, seriously. I agree with Kayla, fast and pray. So the schools in your area aren't the best? That's what we'd deal with here in Orlando. I love the computer aspect of this, that's what the Duggars do, oh maybe read her website?? But she has older kids as "helpers." Whoa, I'm rambling. LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! Admirable and exciting that you are homeschooling your kiddos. I would LOVE to know how it all goes down LoL I don't think I could do it. BUT you Sellers girls have a know how for these kinds of things, and you have lots of people to help right?? YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my advice--JUST DO IT!! You can't fail! It's like parenting in any other aspect (ex. potty training)--some days go great, some maybe a little less great but in the end everyone learns. Btw, if a lesson (or two or three) seem ridiculous--they are! Skip "Pollution Poetry"!!! That's the best part of homeschool anyway. YOU choose the lessons! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, Thanks for your comments on my blog today. And thanks for sharing your story of PPD. It always help put things into perspective when you can hear what other people experience and get through. I enjoyed looking through your blog, you have a darling family. I love to see other big families. I can relate!! :)

    Best of luck with the home schooling thing, you are much braver than I. I admire mom's like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, Jill?? I'm laughing but I know you are serious. …

    Okay, no laughing. You are totally gonna rock this! You're way better than me - my kids have done well with homeschool & even some college with my pathetic self so it's a little funny to me that YOU are worried…you're like "Mother-of-the-year!"

    Okay, fasting and prayer is the place to start. So many smart people out there! Then, consider whether this is the best curriculum for you. Your kids are so close in age and you can easily teach them as a group for a lot of subjects. We'll talk soon. I love you so much. I'm also super proud of you for being so brave. Don't give in to that nay-saying little voice . . . I KNOW you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prayed about it for you and the answer was to move to Ohio. I wouldn't question that...the message sounded pretty urgent too. ;-)

    seriously...

    Jill, I feel ya on this one but you have Mama's pioneer spirit and you've never failed at anything! I think Melissa has a good idea - some group lessons along with individual.

    Oh, and don't forget to socialize them. Haha, that was a homeschool joke...I'm still laughing, I hope you thought it was funny.

    Love you girl - you're gonna rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very brave doing this! I haven't got to the school part yet but I can say I'm very anxious and particular when it comes to daycare for Audre. It does seem like a lot placed on your plate but us mommy's are pretty much super hero's anyways. When can do anything especially if we ask for heavenly fathers guidance, you make me want to home school! Good luck Jill us corleys will keep you in our prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete